Thursday, January 23, 2014

THE SPIRIT OF FRIDA

I was invited by the Museum of Art, in Deland to do a performance piece for their Dia de los Muertos celebration! Wow, what an honor. I remember coming to Deland twelve years ago, peeking my head inside the door, and asking if I could drop off a resume for consideration. What a wonderful world! Well, of course, I wanted to paint my favorite Mexicana painter, Frida Kahlo. But I had to do something really special for the event. So I looked at her self portraits, and chose one to re-create. Here is the end Result! Thank you model Sara Mendez, and of course, Ryder Gledhill Photography!
First, I found the Frida Kahlo's painting to create the mastercopy from...

Next, I chose a canvas, and decided I didn't want it to be exactly the same... I wanted it to be, "The Spirit of Frida Kahlo" Here is the painting, in back of the model.

The happy ending to this event, is that the painting was purchased (by her amazing husband)as a Christmas present to a wonderful and deserving patron of the arts. Here is a snapshot of my painting in her art studio in her home. It looks as if it were created for the space specifically! I think I WAS channeling the spirit of Frida! And what a sport... she had her face painted at the event with this gorgeous lavender "jaw bone." (brilliant idea, Tash!)

DOUBLE WHAMMY... my OTHER Frida portrait, was purchased by one of the coordinators at the museum, who saw it hanging in Tongue and Groove Gallery. I love it when people give my ART as gifts!!! Photo by Ryder Gledhill

This was actually NOT my first Frida Kahlo body painting! Melissa Drewry Photography hired me about a year ago for this awesome series, "Dia de las Fridas" which was modeled by the beautiful movie stunt woman and warrior, Christina Marie. Brilliantly done, ladies! To see more of Melissa's work, visit her stunning page at



After the model was in place, I went to work, doing traditional style sugar skulls and also some non-traditional face painting! I absolutely LOVE the idea of painting your face, to celebrate/commune with/honor the life of loved ones who have passed away. What a beautiful reason to become someone else for a while...


No comments:

Post a Comment